Birds are chirping, flowers are blooming, days are longer and the temperature is warmer – spring is here! With the onset of the season comes the desire to get outside and enjoy time with family and friends. And, according to Pam Kahn, a style expert on the Lowe’s customer experience design team, having an awesome outdoor space can help you do both.
Open House caught up with Kahn to learn more about how to boost your outdoor spring style (spoiler alert: it’s not that hard!). Here are some of her tips and tricks for sprucing up your space:
1. Introduce big style in a small space – Incorporate a distinctive rug under a square or round patio table, or add comfortable, stylish seating around a fire pit to hang out with family and friends. Not sure which patio furniture to choose? The Lowe’s buying guide is here to help!
2. Turn up the heat – Did we say “fire pit” above? We sure did. A fire on a warm spring day may sound crazy, but fire pits and outdoor fireplaces are no longer reserved for cooler weather. “There’s something mesmerizing and a bit nostalgic about gathering around a crackling fire, and adding a fire pit or fireplace puts the perfect finishing touch on your outdoor oasis,” Kahn said.
“There’s something mesmerizing and a bit nostalgic about gathering around a crackling fire, and adding a fire pit or fireplace puts the perfect finishing touch on your outdoor oasis.”—Pam Kahn, Lowe's style expert
3. Green it up – Live plants have always been essential to outdoor living. A vertical garden gives you the full advantage of space and – as an added bonus – organic wall art!
4. Add pops of color and pattern – When you choose the colors you love in warm (think red, orange or yellow) or cool tones (blues and greens), “mixing patterns is easy,” Kahn said. Consider layering several patterned pillows for a cozy but bold effect.
5. Light up the night – Think about using multiple strands of string lights, creative hanging lights and groupings of lanterns in varying sizes on a patio table to create a cool look and an enchanted mood in your space.
P.S. Interested in creating some of your own globe string lights? It’s as easy as 1-2-3. Check out the how-to guide.
These are just a few ideas to get you started – browse through Lowe’s Patio Paradise Pinterest board for additional tips, tricks and design inspiration. You’ll be enjoying your outdoor oasis in no time! And if you love any of the items featured in the photos above, you can find more information about them in the 2017 Patio Guide.
Kahn has been providing style advice at Lowe’s since 1995. In her role, she gathers insights and synthesizes data to forecast trends (it’s become “part of her DNA,” she said) and enjoys focusing on the passion customers have for creating a home they love.
Did you like this story? Check back in the months ahead for more tips from the style experts on the Lowe’s customer experience design team.